Monday, March 11, 2013

Surprise Trip to Colorado! - Part One

I'm baaaaaack!  Sorry for the brief intermission, but you wouldn't believe how far I'd have to go for a good piece of birthday cake!  If you are wondering... it's just over 5,000 miles, and the best cake is made by none other than my MOM!

I do love a good surprise...

In honor of my 36th birthday (and some of the best snow in Colorado), my friends decided to make the trek to Pagosa Springs, CO for a 4-day ski trip.  They all planned to stay at my mom's house (her hospitality knows no bounds) and spend the weekend skiing, boarding, hot tubbing, tubing and visiting the Hot Springs.  I, of course, could not just sit by (although I nearly did) and let things unfold without me, I mean, it was MY birthday after all!  So, I bought a ticket home and Hollis and I flew into Denver under the radar.  I spent my first night with my second family, the Urich's, and the next day met my dad, Marci, Anh and Xander for a quick lunch in Morrison, and then drove 5 hours to Pagosa, so that I could beat the winter storm coming in on Wednesday.  Did I mention I did all this after being awake for 26 hours, sleeping for about 6, and then pretending not to have jet lag?  Yep.  There you have it.  I am super woman.

Hollis and I had an uneventful drive (she slept for most of it) and arrived safe and sound in Pagosa where we promptly fell into a coma for two days.  And then the friends began to arrive... pair by pair... I captured them on video.  The screams! The shock! The dropped jaws!  The hugs that never ended as we jumped up and down, "oh my godding", crying (yes, there were tears) and the utter disbelief that I was actually standing in front of them! 

Here are a few highlights from our crazy week in Pagosa Springs!

TUBING AT HIGH COUNTRY LODGE
It was wicked fun!!!  I took Hollis down the "bunny hill".  She loved it!



 

 
 
2013 BEADS 'N' BANGLES PARTY AT MOM'S HOUSE
My mom hosts this party and it's a deluge of anything goes costumes, sparkles, feathers, bad wigs and um... good humored naughtiness!  Plus, you come up with wild name tags.  I was "Ass Up Aud".
 
My Group of Friends!
 
 
Liz & Nate
(Yes, he is sporting a marshmallow filled pink bra with green "snake", and Liz in pink fuzzy leg warmers... I mean, fashion week ain't got nothin' on my friends!!)

Nicole & Neil
 
Gina & "Wild" Brett

Sally, Mom (Paula) and Ed
 
 Nicole, Ronda, Renato, and some lady in a bad wig...
 
Okay... it was me... actin' a fool! 
Not my best costume, but not bad for putting it together at the last minute!!! 

 

The night ended dancing in the snow... it. was. EPIC!
 
Well... actually, the night really ended when I was lying in my bed (which happened to be on my mom's bedroom floor) when I heard my mom curse!  Yep, she did. (Disclaimer: Please don't read this next bit if you don't like profanities.  You've been warned.)  She said "WHAT the FUCK!?!", so naturally I said "What's wrong, mom?" and the reply came "Somebody short-sheeted my bed!!!!" to which I burst out laughing.  She then says "I feel like I'm back in college!!".  The two evil culprits (sweet and innocent Gina and Liz) apparently short-sheeted all 5 beds in the house, except mine (lucky me!) because I didn't have a sheet!  So, the evening ended with a bang, and all went off to slumber... LOL!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment